Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Rape is Rape!

In a recent speech at the University of New Hampshire, VP Joe Biden told the story of a college freshman he referred to as Jenny. Jenny was raped after a party on campus. She tried to pursue a case against her rapist, only to be asked if she had been drinking, what she was wearing, and whether she was dancing. The University never took action against her assailant. Sadly, this happens far too often, the victim ends up blamed because she was drinking or somehow led her assailant on, and this is unacceptable! As Biden said, "Rape is rape is rape." Every year, however, when compiling the numbers, the FBI omits hundreds of thousands of rapes from its Uniform Crime Report because it’s using an 80-year-old definition of rape. The FBI’s outdated definition of rape is limited to "the carnal knowledge of a female forcibly and against her will." The FBI’s outdated definition of rape excludes any form of sexual assault that falls outside of the narrowest understanding of heterosexual sex, including the rape of men and boys as well as transgender people. The emphasis on "forcible" rape also means that the rape or assault of women with physical or mental disabilities and those who were unconscious or under the influence of drugs and alcohol, like Jenny, are often excluded. The FBI’s 2007 Uniform Crime Report listed 91,874 "forcible rapes," but some estimates suggest the actual number may be 24 times higher. The FBI's underreporting of rapes translates to less federal funding for police departments nationwide to test rape kits, and fewer rapists brought to justice.

Sign below to tell the FBI to update its definition of rape to address and end sexual assault:

Tell the FBI: Rape is Rape!

Source: Change.org

6 comments:

  1. You blog is totally amazing - I'd love to send you an email but I don't have a POP outbox set up so I can't (dammit!) Oh well, keep up the amazing writing and spreading the word (and the love) in the face of transphobic radical 'feminism' (sorry, I can't take a movement seriously that seeks to oppress a minority group that faces just as much repression and fear from the patriarchy as them, whilst still saying they fight for equality).

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT A FANTASTIC ENTRY! Thank you for this. I am a rape survivor, and mine too was a 'date rape' so a lot of people didn't take me seriously. Thank you so much for giving a voice to the silent survivors. I've been following your journal for some time now, I was on the fence at first because I was a reader of dirt's journal. But after comparing both and reading your entries, I do think the wool has been pulled over people's eyes, so to speak. You are spreading a positive message and I see now, that you can be a transgender man and still care about feminism. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon: Thank you! And I WILL keep writing about transphobia and prejudice against transfolk. Thank you for reading and feel free to email anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie: I am so sorry you were victimized by someone you trusted. And even sorrier that you experienced any insensitivity following it. But you're brave and you survived, and I thank you for sharing your voice here. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments here and on dirt's blog. I am a radical feminist and a transgender activist. I'm not yielding an inch to the haters anymore. No one gets to define me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon 6:41: Wow, thank you! I will continue to add my voice there - even though 75% of what I comment gets deleted, it's worth it for my comments to be up for long enough to reach out to even one person. Your comment made my night, thank you.

    ReplyDelete