Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

No More 'Boys' and 'Girls' at Swedish School

I read a story on CNN this morning about a gender neutral preschool in Sweden, that is referring to the kids as "friends" rather than boys and girls. It is an effort to allow the children to grow and play in a non gender stereotyped environment, allowing them to be who they want to be. I think this is a very interesting idea, whether it changes anything in the long run remains to be seen, but kudos to them for their forward thinking!

You can read the full story HERE

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. Reminds me of the recent news article regarding the parents who refused to disclose the gender of their infant. What are your thoughts on raising children without emphasis on their gender?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't know that what they're trying to do will work the way they hope - but I applaud them nonetheless for trying to overcome gender stereotyping. I believe their intentions are good, but either way, I would be interested to see how it all plays out! Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete